After losing our son to suicide and then years later watching our daughter slowly decline from the health consequences of prolonged use of psychiatric medications I was forced to seek alternatives.
The following 5 books were the beginning of what changed my mindset on mental health treatment options.
What I learned from these books opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at mental illness. I realize now that mental illness symptoms are really our body’s way of communicating with us that something is wrong that needs to be addressed.
Psychiatric medications can be useful for mental health stabilization but longterm use just masks symptoms and keeps one from getting to the root issues that need to be addressed in order to heal.
The good news is that these books gave me the foundation and confidence to bravely seek a whole new path of healing for my daughter that literally changed her life and gave her hope and a future she would have never had otherwise.
If you are looking for hope and healing you have come to the right place.
You may also like
- Natural Healing Hope: How It Began
- Psychiatric Drugs & Kids: Think Twice About the RX Option
- A Nutritional Supplement for Brain Health That Can Change Your Life
- How to Safely Wean off of Psychiatric Medications
- Tips for Getting Started In Your Natural Health Journey
The 5 books that change my mindset on mental health treatment options
1. Med Free Bipolar by Aspen Morrow This is the first book I read which changed the course of our journey. It stuck out to me because it is widely believed that bipolar equals a lifelong need to be on mood stabilizers and a combination of other psychiatric drugs to remain stable. This book opened my eyes to the possibility of weaning off psychiatric medications and living a happy, healthy, productive life by natural means. It not only includes a beautiful testimonial of a transformed life following this method, but it also gives step by step practical information about how to go about it. It led me to the key supplement that we wouldn’t live without called Empower Plus from Truehope.com.
2. A Mind of Your Own by Kelly Brogan, MD This book is written by a Psychiatrist in Manhattan who comes from a full lineage of medical doctors in her family. After years of specializing in psychiatry for women, she had her own medical diagnosis that drove her to find natural alternatives to the lifetime need to be on a prescription drug. It sent her on an eye-opening path of discovering how diet alone can heal your body of physical and mental health problems. What is mind-boggling to me is her testimony of how after ten years of treating women with psychiatric medications, she put away her prescription pad and puts her patients on a thirty day reset diet plan. In those first 10 years of practicing she said no one was healed, but now, everyday someone comes in and shares how their life has been completely transformed by natural means alone.
3. Nutrient Power by William Walsh, Ph.D. This book was recommended by our Holistic Psychiatrist. It is very technical with all the scientific data and research which is good for those who like evidence-based research. My eye-opening takeaway is that mental illness is largely a result of nutrient deficiencies. Our brain takes first what it needs from our body and if it doesn’t get what it needs, it acts out, resulting in what we call mental illness. By testing and getting to the root problem and targeting nutritional deficiencies, you can heal your brain.
4. Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel Amen, MD This book is filled with evidenced-based research done by Dr. Daniel Amen, a renowned neuropsychiatrist who has done hundreds of thousands of brain scans and discovered life-changing means to heal your brain.
5. The Diet Cure by Julia Ross, M.A. This is not a diet book per se but a book about how diet alone can cure different physical and mental health problems. This book was also recommended by our Holistic Psychiatrist.
These five books were just the beginning of a whole new world of learning a new way to pursue better health and wellbeing. My natural health library continues to grow and I am grateful for each and every book and writer who has been brave enough to break free from the pressures to conform to the standard, conventional approach of modern medicine. They paved the way for us to break free from the bondage of a lifetime of declining health and dependence on conventional medications.
Sadly, I didn’t know any of these things when I was trying to help my son. I didn’t know any better and I put all my trust in my son’s doctors and the mental health care system that is the standard of care today. I wasn’t about to lose another child so I was forced to find another way. Thankfully this new approach saved my daughter.
I hope this information can help you too.
Wishing you Joy in your journey,
If you found this post helpful, please pin it to one of your boards on Pinterest. And please share with your friends! Sharing is caring!
Get Your FREE Copy Here
Subscribe to receive access to my FREE Resource Library including this "Harm Reduction Guide to Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs" and "5 Books That Changed My Mindset On Dealing With Mental Illness & Why."