If you are serious about making your health a priority, you can’t overlook the ill effects of sugar.
Last year, after learning about the health consequences sugar has on our overall health and wellbeing, I committed to scaling back on sugar in 2018. I actually make it through at least half of the year living sugar-free and I was surprised to find out that after 6 months of no sugar, sweets were just too sweet, almost disgustingly too sweet for me. It’s interesting how our tastes buds change.
Slowly, over the year though sugar has crept back into my life little by little so I need to be reminded why it is so important to keep this a priority and be on guard for areas it sneaks back into my life.
I pulled out this list of 50 Ways Sugar Ruins Your Health from my Resource Library to remind me of all the reasons why I need to eliminate sugar.
I put together this list last year to go with a post I wrote called The Evils of Sugar Exposed. You may want to read it. I share some important information everyone should know about sugar as well as some testimonials of life free from sugar.
So here is all the motivation I need to keep working on eliminating sugar from my diet. I hope it helps motivate you as well.
50 Effects of Sugar on Your Health & Wellbeing
- Sugar can cause heart disease
- Sugar can damage the pancreas
- Sugar leads to chromium deficiency
- Sugar causes copper deficiency
- Sugar interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium
- Sugar can weaken eyesight
- Sugar can produce an acidic digestive tract
- Sugar can cause premature aging
- Sugar increases the risk of Crohn’s disease & ulcerative colitis
- Sugar can cause arthritis
- Sugar can cause asthma
- Sugar can cause gallstones
- Sugar causes loss of tissue elasticity
- Sugar can cause appendicitis
- Sugar can cause multiple sclerosis
- Sugar can cause hemorrhoids
- Sugar can cause varicose veins
- Sugar can contribute to osteoporosis
- Sugar can decrease growth hormones
- Sugar can increase cholesterol
- Sugar can increase systolic blood pressure
- Sugar causes food allergies
- Sugar can contribute to diabetes
- Sugar can cause cardiovascular disease
- Sugar can impair the structure of DNA
- Sugar can make our skin age by changing the structure of college
- Sugar can cause cataracts
- Sugar can increase the amount of liver fat
- Sugar can cause emphysema
- Sugar can increase the body’s fluid retention
- Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance
- Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines
- Sugar can contribute to Alzheimer’s disease
- Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance
- Sugar can lead to the formation of kidney stones
- Sugar can cause free radicals and oxidative stress
- Sugar can exacerbate PMS
- Sugar can worsen the symptoms of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Sugar can slow down the ability of the adrenal glands to function
- Sugar can raise homocysteine levels in the bloodstream
- Sugar induces salt and water retention
- Sugar may contribute to mild memory loss
- Sugar causes constipation
- Sugar cause varicose veins
- Sugar can increase type 2 diabetes risk
- Sugar can increase the risk of a stroke
- Sugar can increase the risk of fatty liver disease
- Sugar ages the body and increases wrinkles
- Sugar can cause metabolic syndrome
- Sugar can make you feel bloated after eating
So what do you think? Are these reasons good enough to convince you to scale back on sugar?
If you are ready to do something about it, join our community for ongoing support and encouragement. You’ll also receive access to my Resource Library full of information and tools that will help you, like my Healthy Habits Tracker.
You may also want to follow my Pinterest Board on Sugar-Free Living to get recipes and ideas.
Wishing you Joy in your journey,
If you found this post helpful, please pin to one of your Pinterest boards to reference later. And please share with your friends. Sharing is caring!
Join Our Community Here
Join our exclusive private community of fellow "natural health seekers" to lock arms and partner together on our path to better health and wellbeing. You'll also receive access to my password protected RESOURCE LIBRARY full of tools to help you in your natural health journey.