I don’t know about you but when I see something in nature as breathtaking as lavender, I can’t help but praise God for his creation and thank Him for making such thoughtful gifts for us. Not only is lavender absolutely beautiful and inspiring to look at with a fragrance so appealing, but it offers us countless health benefits. It’s apparent to me that God gave us the gift of lavender for our health and wellbeing.
Lavender has been used for centuries both cosmetically and therapeutically. With its properties being anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory, lavender is one of the best natural products you can use in your natural toolkit. In fact, lavender essential oil has become known as the Swiss Army Knife of essential oils because it has so many uses for practically anything you can think of. My family members frequently ask me which essential oil to use for their various issues and my most common answer is lavender.
Some of the many benefits of lavender for our health and wellbeing
- it can improve and induce sleep
- it can help relieve stress and anxiety
- it can elevate your mood
- it can help soothe and repair skin issues including dry skin, dandruff, acne, burns, cuts, bug bites, rashes, stretch marks etc.
- it can improve brain function and focus
- it can help alleviate headaches and migraines
- it can help lower blood pressure and hypertension
- it can improve circulation and blood flow throughout the body
- it can prevent infection
- it can help promote hair regrowth
- it can help reduce scaring
- it can be effective in combating lice, lice eggs, and nits.
- it can be used to repel insects and prevent bug bites
- it can help with respiratory problems, colds, and flu
- it can boost immunity
- it can help relieve nausea
How to use lavender to improve your health and wellbeing
- Directly apply lavender essential oil on your Vita Flex Points or the area of concern. Lavender oil is gentle enough to be applied to your skin directly and therefore doesn’t need to be diluted by a carrier oil.
- Diffuse 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil in a diffuser for aromatherapy. The anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties will help purify the air you breathe and promote overall health in your home. The aromatic influence promotes love, peace, happiness and a general overall sense of well-being.
- Use dried lavender flowers for cooking, brewing teas and making DIY products to help promote health and wellness.
Some practical ideas and applications for using lavender essential oil
- Add 4 drops to your bath along with 1 cup of Epsom Salts to alleviate fatigue, stress, anxiety, sore muscles, and dry or irritated skin.
- For headaches: add 4 drops of lavender essential oil to a tissue and inhale deeply or apply a few drops to your temples and the back of the neck.
- Add 5 drops of lavender essential oil to your detergent to wash clothes or add to a wool ball or washcloth and put in the drier.
- Add a few drops to your favorite shampoos, lotions or skin care products not only for the scent but for all the added therapeutic benefits.
- Add a few drops to an Aromatherapy Bracelet and wear it on days you need a pick-me-up or help with stress or anxiety.
- Keep a bottle in your purse and take it with you on trips so you have something for almost every unexpected need that may arise.
Lavender DIY products you can make at home with 3 ingredients
- All in One Shampoo/Conditioner to revive your hair: (1 Application) 5 drops lavender essential oil, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Deodorant: (Small jar) 10 drops lavender essential oil, 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- Pillow Spray: (2 oz. bottle) 5 drops lavender essential oil, 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel, then fill the bottle with distilled water
- Bug Repellent: (2 oz. bottle)10 drops lavender essential oil, 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar, then fill the bottle with distilled water
- Body Scrub: (Small jar) 5 drops lavender essential oil, 1 cup of white sugar, 1/4 cup of coconut oil
As you can see, there are so many ways to use lavender to improve your overall health and wellbeing. If you don’t already have lavender essential oil, make sure you get some right away and get several bottles so you can keep one in your purse and have it with you wherever you go. Make sure it is a quality, therapeutic grade essential oil or all the therapeutic benefits mentioned in this post won’t apply. The brand I use and recommend is Young Living. Fortunately, lavender is one of the most affordable essential oils available. Be thankful because I read that in biblical times the cost of lavender oil was a year’s wages.
If you already use lavender, I hope this post gives you some new ideas for how to use this precious gift from God to bless you and your family with better health and wellbeing.
I use lavender almost every day. It’s always fun to find new ways to use it. Today I added 2 drops of lavender to my latte and oh boy, what a treat!
So what about you? Do you have any favorite ways you use lavender in your daily life? Please share.
Wishing you Joy in your Journey,
PS- To learn more about lavender you might like to read my post Discovering More About Lavender in New Zealand.
Get FREE Access Here
As a subscriber to Natural Healing Hope you will receive access to a password protected library full of almost 50 FREE Resources to help you in your natural health journey.